I was looking at Sonal's blog today and she had included some ideas and pictures about exploring the 2 places she feels most passionate about, LA and India. I thought this was a great theme and could be very valuable stimulus material for any type of performance piece. Sonal was interested in exploring her heritage, but also in looking ahead to where she sees herself in the future. I think there is a lot of potential there for some really exciting fusion of styles - it made me think of this video I found recently on you tube, which is an example of fusion in music. It mixes Indian and British Folk...I thought I would share it with you to see if it brings up any ideas for anyone about how they might like to use 'culture fusion' in their own work.
Stephanie, I too have ben following both your and Sonal's blogs and I am finding this concept of 'Culture Fusion' of particular interest. From a choreographer or teachers point of view what a great way of getting some inspiration for new movements. I love the fact that each piece would be so personal to its creator, obviously as each persons specif roots will be so different.
ReplyDeleteThanks for posting this; I’m having difficulties in finding lines of inquiry. These are two of my favourite bands and India is the place I adore most in the world having lived there for 3 months. Cultural fusion in dance teacher and choreography is a great starting point in developing new material. I have also noticed that types of dance are now fusing together; I do a ballet fusion class that incorporates several types of dance but use ballet as its base. Ballet and yoga fusion also Pilates and ballet. These all teach the body to approach some exercises in a different way. Ballet and Pilates are so different and almost contradict each other in their approach so to combine them gives us a different way at looking at a particular type of dance in a whole new light.
ReplyDeleteAs I mentioned in my latest post, I found this video and the ideal of culture fusion very inspiring, so I followed yours and Sonal's idea and I shared an example of culture fusion on my blog. It can be inspiring for a particular project like a choreography/show, as Sophie and Nicole mentioned, or simply for a piece o art (I paint), or a soundtrack of the making of a video, or writing something like a poem or a text... I find music a very important tool for my life in general, something that accompanies myself most of the time. Thanks for sharing this as I didn't know these bands and I love getting to know new artists.
ReplyDeleteSteph- This video is really good. Thanks for posting this. I am glad I have given all some ideas to think about. As I have been using my heritage it has been really helpful and inspirational. It has been teaching me alot about the things I didn't already know. As Nicole has mentioned about doing Ballet Fusion- I never realised until I first attempted Yoga that it was from the Indian Heritage. I'll keep you updated on what happens with my Cultural Choreography.
ReplyDelete