Through looking outward within my own profession at the different processes employed by theatre and film makers, I have come across some interesting ways of working that I have not fully previously experienced.
The film director Shane Meadows, who I very much admire, uses experimental short films and documentaries as a reflective tool for developing characters and plots. Many of these works turn out to be accomplished pieces of art in their own right, but they also help him to explore ideas in a visual way. I imagine that as a film-maker this seems much more natural and useful for him than simply thinking about, or writing down his thoughts. He also often talks about short films as a way to make mistakes, and about the importance of getting inspiration from the world and people around you.
I came across this interview with him, in which he discusses some of his ideas about his working process...
And this is one of his documentary films, "King of the Gypsies" which has inspired characters in his films. It is also rumoured that Shane plans to make a fictional feature length film based on the man in the film...
I am keen to explore how I can use photography and film as a tool for reflection. This could range from taking photos that capture my mood on a certain day, to making short films that document my learning on this course, or explore a certain theme.
No comments:
Post a Comment