Monday, 7 March 2011

Poetry Task Summary

I have now come to the end of my week of writing a 10 minute poem a day.
If anyone hasn't already come across this on the blogs, this was an idea of a way to 'play with reflection' suggested by Adesola, which I previously shared on my blog.
(http://stephaniethomas-blog.blogspot.com/2011/02/playing-with-ways-to-reflect-adesola.html)


I chose not to publish my poems on my blog, as I think my poetry leaves a lot to be desired! However, I realised that you don't have to be the world's most eloquent writer to benefit from this task. I found that limiting myself to 10 mins to write the poem stopped me agonising or questioning what to write, and I just allowed myself to freely associate and let my stream of consciousness pour out. 


What I found most interesting was the way in which it really helped me to see exactly what my dominant thought or reflection on the day was, and a lot of these feelings recurred throughout the week. My thoughts seemed to be dominated by worries about the obstacles that get in the way of my professional practice, rather than the actual work. This concerns me, as I feel slightly disappointed at my lack of creativity - my life appears to be more just like a daily battle to stay on top of things and not fall behind. However, it's got to be a good thing that I am now more aware of this and can seek to rectify it.


To help me consolidate my thoughts from the poetry task and give a sense of the week in retrospect, I have written down what I consider to be the dominant topic/mood of each day and listed a couple of quotes from the poems below. The topics seem quite negative, which I suppose they were, but it's perhaps not as bad as it seems! For example, my poem exploring guilt was actually written the next day when I hadn't done my poem the night before, but was really about the fact that I didn't feel guilty - in fact I felt quite liberated. It's important not to forget that these reflective tools are meant to help us, not just add to the pressure. 

Day 1 - Insomnia...

"Thoughts, go away and come back tomorrow
You have kept me awake for too many nights now
Come instead in dreams and settle on my pillow
But do not wake me, please"

Day 2 - Self Analysis...
"I am that girl

Full of enthusiasm but always going wrong"

Day 3 - Guilt...
"I lay down on my bed with the alarm not set
And I loved it "

Day 4 - Lack of Inspiration...
"Oh god
I am boring myself"


Day 5 - Procrastination...
"Give me back those 24 hours"


Day 6 - Passions...
"I could have been a lawyer
I should have been a teacher
I would have been miserable"      

Day 7 - Distraction...
"Distraction comes in the form of a tasty meal, a bottle of wine, a better offer"

For other examples of reflective poems and some thoughts on poetry as a tool for reflection, check out these posts by Adesola & Mark. Interestingly, and I didn't realise this until afterwards, Mark has a similar experience to me in that he found he was writing quite negative poems, especially at first. I think I have a slightly self-depreciating attitude sometimes but it my poems it was mostly not particularly serious, but rather taking the p**s out of my flaws, which I think can be quite a healthy thing to do. My conclusion is, recognise your problems and downfalls....acknowledge them, learn from them and let them go, don't allow them to drag you down.

2 comments:

  1. Stephanie, I’m having a similar response in terms of my reflective journal writing. I found that on the day I had 3 jobs and a dance to create (video journal) I went through the motions not actually living in the moment wishing for it all to end. It’s difficult to stay on top of everything however the fact that you are now aware of this means you can rectify it like you mention.
    It’s important not to set yourself unrealistic tasks and then lose sleep over them, (in your video journal) although I’d be a hypocrite to say this is not what I do. I guess this just highlights we need a balance. There has to be a time for every task we set ourselves and then we must give the task 100%. I’m definitely starting to acknowledge that not everything I set myself is doable so if it doesn’t happen let it go and move on. We are all human and not superhuman. I’m going to start the poem journal tonight and I’ll keep you updated on how I get on. (If I have time haha)

    ReplyDelete
  2. In reply http://missnicolecarman.blogspot.com/2011/03/video-journal-28022011.html#comments

    Stephanie, I have only just started to tackle this overwhelming feeling by, as you say just letting it go and moving on. I have had a look at Emily’s blog, it looks really professional and the photograph is a great way of giving us a glimpse of whom and what Emily does professionally, so thanks for pointing me towards her blog.

    I have started the poem journal so far like you mention in your blog I’m just laughing at my terrible ability to string words together, although I have learnt something because I’m thinking more about the poem it stops me concentrating on the content so I’ve actually written poems about experiences I haven’t in my journal. I hope the shows going well will be interesting to know how you’re reflecting now.

    ReplyDelete