Last night was a first for me - I went to see Danny Boyle's National Theatre production of 'Frankenstein' at the cinema. For anyone that hasn't come across it, the National Theatre have now started something called NT Live, screening live performances of certain productions to cinemas around the globe - a brilliant way for more people to discover the plays and see what they are up to. Another great example of the use of new technology in the world of performance, pushing the boundaries between theatre and film.
I must say, I was dubious about whether a theatre production could transfer to the big screen, as they are obviously very different mediums with different acting requirements, but I must say I thought they did a great job. There were lots of different camera angles and close-ups, and I got a really good sense of the staging of the production. Not quite the same as being there in the flesh but the next best thing!
Have a look at the trailer for 'Frankenstein' below - I will be working on another production (The Cherry Orchard) at The National Theatre which is due to be screened in June, so keep an eye out for it on the website if you are interested in taking a look.
Really enjoyed this clip Stephanie, so glad you enjoyed it. You are very right, sometimes watching films and a something slightly different is really valuable for us as performers. It really makes me appreciate all the factors regarding sets, scenery, viewing angles etc, these things were forget about when we just sit and watch. All great experience for us, we can use what we find to improve our own performance, Has it inspired you to creae any new pieces?
ReplyDeleteGlad you enjoyed the clip Sophie - I am pleased you found it thought provoking. As an actor, I usual work for other people so I have not created any of my own pieces as such, at least not professionally. However, the further on we get with the course, I am thinking more and more about how I would like to produce my own work. I want to explore the whole world of film more so that hopefully I can eventually do some of my own short films as a way of experimenting.
ReplyDelete