Starting on on module 3 has been a bit tricky for me, as it has been such a long time since I completed module 2. I decided to start, as suggested, by reviewing my inquiry plan from the previous module and sending my advisor my thoughts and ideas, including any changes that I plan to make. I have decided to share this on my blog, in case any other students/advisors have any comments. I'd love to hear from you if you do!
I am still satisfied with the inquiry question I proposed in my professional inquiry plan, ‘Actors as polymaths: Is finding multiple forms of expression the key to creative fulfillment and career longevity, or does the creative polymath risk becoming ‘the jack of all trades and the master of none?’. This is a question that interests me more than ever, and it seems an increasing number of my professional peers are turning to ‘polymathy’ as a way to control their creative development and earn a larger portion of their income from creative pursuits. I have identified this as a trend which is backed up by the media; everywhere I turn there are articles about people who choose to start their own businesses, or multi-task in their careers, and the arts are no exception. Just this week at the BAFTA awards, we saw Ben Affleck nominated in the best actor and best director categories, for ‘Argo’, a film also produced by an actor polymath, George Clooney. This is a high profile example of how actors are increasingly taking control of their own work and multi-tasking. The digital age has made it easier for people to create, edit and promote their own work, as well as providing solutions for flexibility, which enable people to pursue multiple interests and manage their own time. I am keen to find out what the benefits and problems are of this approach to work in the arts, especially for people like myself, who are at an early stage of their career.
As I have had a long break between modules 2 and 3, I am acutely aware of the need to reassess my research methods and tools of inquiry, as changes are happening so quickly, especially where social media and technology are concerned. When I first began the BAPP course, web 2.0 platforms, youtube and blogging were all very new to me, but I now find myself using them on an almost daily basis, both for professional and personal reasons. I have therefore decided that I would like to explore ways I might be able to utilise multi-media tools in my inquiry, particularly in my final professional artefact. However, I must first carefully consider the ethical implications this may have on my research.
My chosen primary research tool is the interview, which I still believe to be the best way of gaining a detailed insight into the world of polymaths. In my professional inquiry plan, I stated that I would protect the identity of my subjects, granting them anonymity. I now recognise this as a potential problem, as in order to use any multi-media approach, such as video or podcasts, I would have to identify my sources in order for the presentation of my findings to be meaningful. It’s a difficult ethical dilemma, for two main reasons; the first is simply that an actor’s image/voice ‘are’ their business, and as such they may not take too kindly to those being used without financial remuneration. This I take very seriously, as I know from my own experience that actors are often expected to give up their time for free in fringe productions etc. It’s a sensitive subject but I do feel I have enough polymaths who are personally known to me as friends, to get around this issue by appealing to their goodwill. The second problem is that if my subjects know that their interview will be recorded for publication, they may be less open and my research findings could therefore be biased or invalid. As figures in the public eye, I believe actors to be unlikely to speak completely openly about negative experiences, for example, particularly if this would involved naming industry peers.
So, my first task will be to review my ethical planning and whether or not it will be possible for me to use a more multi-media approach. I plan to do this by both referring to the ethical frameworks studied in module 2, and ‘sounding out’ people within my professional network to see what their thoughts are. Needless to say, respect for and protection of my sources is at the forefront of my mind. The second task I plan to be getting on with is finding more literature sources to review; in module 2, I identified that there was something of a lack of books relating to polymathy specifically, and that the best information may be found in actors biographies, as well as magazine/newspaper interviews. These are a little trickier and more time-consuming to find, so I must get on with that swiftly, in order that it may not delay my time-management plan.
Stephanie - a good update - sounds like the question is still sound - yes participants can be anonymised so that their profile is explored but not their individual identity as needed. literature - yes see the work polymath in newspapers but need to drill down in for a few other sources - mmm. Have you tried looking up key words using the Summons search engine under your MyUniHub library connection?
ReplyDeleteThanks Paula - yes you're right I perhaps need to look for a few more 'academic' examples of literature to support other examples from magazine articles etc. In module 2 we discussed the importance of knowing who the intended audience is for a particular piece of literature, and I must be aware the magazine articles may be written to argue a particular journalist's point of view, and could therefore be biased in some cases. It would be good to find some literature that has been written from a more neutral point of view. I think at the moment I am barred from the unihub resources because of my funding situation, but I'll endeavour to access public library resources instead in the meantime.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHow are you finding the swing of module 3 now after the initial shock? it might be good for you to reflect on this now as I'm sure it will be a point in your critical reflection at the end...
ReplyDeleteAhmet
Hi Ahmet - I'm really enjoying module 3....everything is just taking slightly longer as I remind myself how to use references etc. Academic writing is such a particular skill, which I don't use in my 'regular' day to day life, so it's just about getting used to it again.
DeleteThe thing that has really struck me is how much technology has moved on in just a year! It's amazing...when I started the BAPP blogs were brand new to me, and things like twitter were a complete mystery. I find I'm using these tools more and more and they have certainly become to norm rather than the exception.
I wonder what the biggest technological advances/trends will be in the next year or two?
Hi Stephanie,
ReplyDeleteIt's great to read about your inquiry and your progress.
Having deferred for a year, I expect you are more than passionate and determined about completing this term. I know that I would be and that I am!
Your inquiry is incredibly interesting. A lot of us found ourselves debating during Module Two the whole issue of whether or not it is best to be an expert within a specific field or if being a "Jack of all trades" is more useful by way of survival within the theatre arts profession. The subject always evokes much emotion and know-feel as well as the practical know-how / strings to the bow aspect.
I have learnt something from your inquiry already - what a Polymath is!
I presume that you have managed to find a lot of academic literature to support your inquiry?
I too find it fascinating how much technology progresses each year. There appear to be new web 2.0 platforms appearing each year to confuse us - I guess the market is just getting much more competitive?
I shall look back at your Blog as this may be repeating what you have already answered, but I am interested to hear your opinion on your inquiry question...what are your thoughts about which option is best for longevity?
It sounds like you are progressing well with your interviews (except for the inevitable changes to other's schedules!)and surveys.
Are you finding the analysis of qualitative data particularly difficult? I have found the Costley book on Work-based learning very useful as it explains categorising and coding common themes...
I look forward to reading more...
Best Wishes,
Jo